Gulkand is actually considered a medicine in Ayurveds . It is primarily known for its cooling properties, which is beneficial for those with excessive heat in their body. In addition to being a natural coolant, it has several other benefits which include
- Improves memory and eyesight
- Helps in the process of digestion
- Relieves lethargy, itching, inflammation and redness
- Removes toxins and purifies the blood
- Aids in relieving constipation, acidity, gastritis and indigestion
Gulkand is often compared to rose petal jam and comfitures that are easily available in the market. It is far superior in taste not just because of the variety of rose that is used, but also the method of preparing. Gulkand is Sun Cooked over a period of at least one month.
Key Actions of Rose:
Increases bile production
Gulkand can also be used as a star ingredient for various new and innovative desserts and drinks as well, some of which include
- Paan, a popular digestive dessert of North India, it uses Gulkand as one of its main ingredients.
- Gulkand Peda is also a famous and refreshing sweet dish. This has a varak-coated layer of khoya, which is stuffed with Gulkand. This also has a Paan like flavour.
- Gulkand Shake, which can be made easily to spruce up the regular boring milk. What's more, Gulkand adds to milk's protein content as well.
- Gulkand Thandai Smoothie, another drink made by combining milk and Gulkand, along with the classic Indian dry-fruit syrup, Thandai
- India desserts like Gulkand Rolls, Gulkand Rabri, Gulkand Ice Cream, Gulkand Kheer, etc.
- Paan truffles with Gulkand centres, which is an eclectic dessert and mouth-freshener rolled into one.
- Gulkand cupcakes, which is an eggless cupcake recipe with the sweet rose preserve stuffed inside.
Jams and confitures, on the contrary, are manufactured using standardised rose petals in sugar syrup. They are continuously stirred on a burning gas stove, and are usually ready to consume within a couple of hours. This gives them a uni-dimensional flavour, vis-a-vis the Gulkand. Also, the nutrients of rose flowers are conserved in the sun-cooking method of Gulkand, which is not the case for a standard manufactured rose Jams.