Podophyllum Hexandrum BAN KHAKHRI
Regular price Rs. 500.00
Podophyllum hexandrum a perennial herb, bearing the common name Himalayan Mayapple known as Aindri. (a divine drug) in ancient times is native to the lower elevations in and surrounding the Himalaya.
- Podophyllum hexandrum is succulent erect herb, glabrous, up to 30 cm tall with creeping long knotty rhizomes. Stem one or two, simple, leafy without top.
- Leaves alternate, palmate, up to 25 cm in diameter, deeply divided in 3-5 lobes, toothed, purple spotted.
- Flowers are white to pinkish in colour, 4 cm across, appear in the fork of the stem.
- Sepals are 3 in number and petaloid.
- Stamens are usually 6. Fruits are ovoid, pulpy 5 cm long and scarlet when ripe.
- The plant is propagated by seeds and rootstocks.
- Rhizomes are used for typhoid fever, jaundice, dysentery, chronic hepatitis, scofula, rheumatism, skin diseases, tumerous growth, kidney & bladder problems.
- Plant is also used for gonorrhoea, and syphilis.
- The podophyllum is used as a purgative and also for treatment of vaginal warts.
- Two derivatives of podophyllotoxin, called eloposide and teniposide are employed for treatment of cancers. Root paste is applied on ulcers, cuts and wounds.
Ayurvedic Name: Vanyakarkati
Hindi Name: Papra Bankakri
Trade Name Bankakri.